Wednesday, August 13, 2008

The Whole Truth And Nothing But The Truth Will Set Us Free

Leaders and distinguished participants in the destruction, one way or the other, of Liberia, are now appearing before the Truth and Reconciliation Commission in Monrovia. Some of these people who were known for being vicious and inconsiderate in their actions are now weeping bitterly and prostrating themselves before the Liberian people. Some are genuine in their utterances and some same to be keeping the most heinous secrets in the belly of their consciences.

Personally and for most Liberians, the truth told will help all of us to heal 161 years of inequalities, massive corruption and horrendous crimes against the people of Liberia. My gut began to boil; I had to let out some of the steam:


Even though I left Liberia before the carnage that took away the lives of more than 250,000 of our people and the situation that kept me and thousands of others in exile, even though I have nothing to explain to the TRC, there are butterflies flying around in my stomach. There is a feeling of sorrow and empathy for those who have been asked to come and explain their role in the terrible and horrendous things that happened to our country and people. To those who suffered and went through hell as a result of the unspeakable actions of their own people, the feelings I carry are difficult to explain, especially when I know that perpetrators of these heinous acts are still roaming our neighborhoods and sit in every institution in our society.

Never in the history of Liberia have its citizens seen anything like what they are seeing in this 21st century. Never before have Liberians seen those who once reigned over them become so emotional in testifying to what they did or did not do to bring the nation to where it finds itself today. Liberians worldwide are at a point in history where lying or keeping things secret...things that happened to us that have eventually taken us back hundreds of years..trying assiduously to leave some stones unturned, will not work. And that is why I continue to quote John 8:32 to those who are now facing the people they once gave little or no regard to. That is why it is necessary for the truth and the whole truth to be told to the Liberian people and the world. For it is when the whole and genuine truth is told that the people will feel the need to forgive and forget.

I understand that some of the people on the TRC commission were also deeply involved in the story that's being told. I also understand that Clarence Simpson, Jr and Estrada Bernard, men who once prosecuted Henry Fahnbulleh, his family and others, are now in Monrovia and trying to make ends meet and have not been asked to testify before the TRC. No one should be left out. No one is immune from testifying, especially if you were part of the problem. I don't want to believe that it is true that people of the True Whig Party can sleep in peace in a situation like this. I can't believe that any one connected with 133 years of inequality can sit happily and say that all is well with his or her soul.

Someone called me and asked whether I had read the Fahnbulleh testimony. "Did you see how arrogant that man was?," my friend continued. I told my friend that the Fahnbulleh testimony sounded more genuine and credible to me. I even wondered why Bishop Warner did not mentioned in his testimony what Fahnbulleh talked about. I was even unimpressed with the prostration of Oscar Quiah and the lamentation of Chea Cheapo. I felt that the name of God was called too many times during Mr Cheapo's testimony. I hope that both Quiah and Cheapo said everything that was hidden in the recesses of their being. That will help in the healing process.

As we await the testimonies of the others who participated in this dark history of our country, we as a people must see the complexity and overwhelming nature of our situation and resolve to take actions that will unite us and not further divide us. I know there is no explanation anyone can give for keeping a people down for 133 years. I know there are those who think that the administration of President Samuel Doe was the best thing that ever happened to Liberia. I have heard the argument that 250,000 of our people had to die in order for us to be where we are today. Whatever the argument, the average of the sum total is that all Liberians, no matter what part of the country we are from... we are hurt, we are resentful and we are understandably vengeful. Nevertheless, we must begin to chart the course of how we can move on, capturing the beauty of our diversity and focusing on the progress we can all make together for the good of our country.

No comments: