Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Life's Starnge Happenings

The country from which I originated seems to be going downhill every day of my adult life. This has weighed me down with great and considerable dismay. The death of 14 individuals on the account of a land dispute has given my mind a task to perform for Liberia:

After 14 years of civil war, most Liberians would think that the killings and mistreatment of their fellow citizens ended when the Peace Accord was signed in Accra, Ghana some years ago. Most Liberians would think that after the country's traumatized people voted war lords and rebel leaders into power, these blood-thirsty individuals would reevaluate their past and thank God that they are in Monrovia and not in the Hague, where the big, big boss presently resides.

My heart is broken to hear that so many people were massacred in Kakata for land business. And to know that the person behind this grotesque act is a Senator, causes chills of despair over my entire being. The entire nation should be outraged, especially now that it is clear to all that mass killings and other acts of brutality ended when the people of Liberia decided to elect their leaders instead of power-hungry individuals imposing their will on them.

I am very depressed and it is just incomprehensible for any normal person to lay their hand on any good reason why rebel leaders were elected Senators and Representatives of Liberia. I thought the days of "you know who I am?" was over. I thought the elections of 2005 were held so that law and order would prevail in a country that had heard all and seen all. I thought rebel leaders who were given a second chance would consider their past wicked ways and change for the general good of society. I thought rebel leaders and war lords had washed their hands clean of the blood of innocent Liberians. I thought war lords and rebel leaders now Senators and Representatives would be calling for peace and reconciliation every day of their remaining days on this earth, especially after what they have done to their own people. O how mistaken I continue to be!

The elimination of 14 innocent Liberians whose only crime was trying to make a decent living, sends an ominous message to the many who plan to come to Liberia to do business to help relief the struggling masses. And the sickening thing about this whole episode is that the perpetrator is a man who is supposed to be making laws to govern the country.

There is something strange about this world that I am still trying to figure out: We are taught to love God with all out hearts and minds and to love our neighbors like we love ourselves. Yet, with all that nice teaching banged into our heads by our pastors and parents, we turn right around and massacre as many of our neighbors as we can...with little or no regret whatsoever. It is just amazing how killing is so easy for so many. Where do we all end up when it all said and done? I wonder where will General "Bush Shaking" go when he finally leaves this world. Will someone else pick up the tab for General "Snake in the grass" when he is no more? At 82, will Mugabe of Zimbabwe continue to be pampered by African leaders until he has killed half of his people who no longer support him?

Life's strange happenings continue to amaze me.

No comments: