Thursday, July 30, 2009

Becoming A Blue-Dog UNICCO Member

The people from Nimba County living in America have become so divided that if many of them had their own way, a war would be the only thing to demonstrate who is who. The organization that brings these people together for development has become a political football. And playing this game seems to be a passion for many. At times, I get very frustrated and and begin to express my innermost feelings:

Nimbaians: As a member of the Board that assembled in New York in May of 2007 to hear the argument why Mr Andrew Wongeh should or should not be impeached, I have an obligation to remain walking a fine line when it comes to my personal opinion about the future of UNICCO. After almost two and a half years of exchanging tough verbiage and sometimes heated rhetoric, it's become clear that all of the wrangling from both sides of the aisles has done nothing but divided us more.

I must admit that there are moderates on both sides that are willing to vomit blood, even becoming anemic inorder for UNICCO to get back on its feet of glory. There are also the conservatives in UNICCO who don't really care what others feel. Their dog in this fight, they believe, must come out the winner, no matter how long it takes. I have never been a conservative in the sense that it's either my way or the highway. Now I understand what it means when it is said that UNICCO is a family organization.

A few weeks ago I was in Philadelphia. I was there upon an invitation to be part of the celebration of Mr Andrew Wongeh's birthday and his graduation from Graduate School. Our small Town, Siaplay, does not have a lot of book people. I have been and continue to be showered with praises for being the first from Siaplay to have graduated from College some 100 years ago! So, my presence was another opportunity to waste it on me, again. I am happy that the torch has been passed and Siaplay can now boast of many, many college graduates.

Even though Wongeh is my cousin, entering the hall that night felt like entering enemy territory. Besides the Siaplay people present and Dahn Dennis whom I have seen on many occasions at Maryland functions, I knew no one else. I felt odd because Philadelphia is where two local UNICCO chapters exist. And again, strangely enough, my other cousin, Romeo Dahn, leads the other side. There is something peculiar about Philadelphia and my Siaplay cousins.

As the celebration went on in full gear, a gentlemen walked up to me, extended his right hand and introduced himself: "Hello, Mr Kweme," he said. " I am Clarence Gono." Clarence and I have exchanged some serious writings. That night was the first time I had seen him. We shook hands and hugged. The next thing I knew, I was being introduced to Joana Toweh by Mr Wogbeh. Then there was Miamen from Chicago. Ordinarily, I would have passed these people on the streets like June passes by July. Seeing Clarence and Joana and Miamen; inviting Sunwabe, Jr for a GB dinner in Maryland; seeing Sam Kpahn and Lurlay at the Tapita Meeting in Silver Spring, all of these strange meetings have given me a different perspective about being a part of a divided group. It hurts my heart to see Nimbaians fighting each other they way they do.

If the proposed project from the North Carolina conference is to be undertaken big time, we need the participation of all Nimbaians. That includes, Wogbeh, Joana Toweh, Drs Taryor, Wonkeryor, Boayue, Flomo, Gonpue, Siaway; Ms Sendolo Belleh, Romeo Dahn, Tony Fele, Wongeh and Keita; Sam Koaloe, Dahn Dennis, Hendrix and Tom Grupee; Kokeh, Barbel, Diama, Miamen and Wopea; Mai Yuan, Victoria Zarkpah, and all the wonderful Nimba women of Nimba County who have been caught in this sad episode in our history.

If the proposal from Chicago regarding the setting up of a special, Eminent Group to bring the two groups together, then the notices being disseminated about a Minnesota Conference and a Chicago Conference in September and October of 2009, respectively, should be put on hold until this Eminent Group comes up with a statement.

I am tired and fed up with two groups of UNICCO and two conferences. I am tired and continue to be confused and baffled about the main court case and now the new court case. The withdrawal of the main court case that has drained our resources, must be done immediately. The withdrawal of the Minnesota court case is so necessary. The timing of this one is just wrong. As I said before, I think my stance on the issues in UNICCO carries a moderate tone.

As I moan and groan over the predicament we face, I am beginning to transform my mentality to that of a Blue Dog UNICCO member. The former Vice President, Mr Paye, I believe, is a Blue Dog UNICCO Member. A Blue Dog member is that member who emerges from within a group of conservative UNICCO members, who believe wholeheartedly, that the future of this organization must be put on hold. We need more Blue Dog members to catapult this persistent conservative mindset of keeping this organization divided, year in and year out.

No comments: