Wednesday, May 14, 2008

The Washington, DC Metro-Area Inauguration

After being in America for more than 18 years (May 8, 2008), I was, for the first time, part of an inauguration process to induct a newly elected president and his crew of officers into office. It was a successful affair and I was indeed impress. Here is how I saw things during the festivities:

Nothing impresses more than to see my Liberian people coming together to have fun after working so hard and spending some tight dollars for a cause. I know deep down in my heart that we can be the best of the African organizations in America.

I was at the inauguration of Ernest Johnson, the new leader of the Liberian Community in the Washington, DC Metro Area. The program was to start at 8 PM. The guest speaker called and said he would be in by 8:15. That call gave me some relief, for I was worried all along that we would blow it; the Liberian tradition dictates that 8 o'clock, whether morning or evening, means 10 o'clock. We expected at least 300 guests, sitting and waiting for the guest speaker to arrive by 8 PM. That did not happen and I was slowly beginning to feel scared, embarrassed, and ashamed.

How do the Americans do it? How do the Chinese do it? These people respect time so much. If a program is set for say 4 PM, everyone who is invited is seated at 4 PM. We see this at school functions, weddings. concerts, every occasion. For Liberian functions, it's a different game plan. Will Liberians ever overcome this particular handicap?

Anyway, the program that was supposed to begin at 8 PM on a Saturday evening actually started an hour and thirty minutes later. The guest speaker came in at 8:15, mingled with the few that was present, took his seat, and waited for his hosts! Justin Ross, the guest speaker, is a delegate of the 5th District of the State of Maryland. He looks like a guy in his late 30s. He did not show it, but I knew in my heart this man was saying something like... why am I just sitting here, near this speaker that's emitting such loud music, when the program hasn't even started? Is this thing ever going to begin? I thought the DJ would be considerate of our Guest Speaker and at least lower the volume. There was no sound of such a gesture. I mentioned this to the DJ. His response: The man not complaining!

I have attended many events hosted by white people. The atmosphere at these events is quite different. The music is usually soft and mellow. When we invite them to our functions, we need not impose our way of playing music on them, especially when it's not dancing time.

All in all, the inauguration of Ernest Johnson and his crew of officers was a blast. The attendance was exactly what was expected. I saw Wette and Dr Seton; I saw Marselley and Kesselley. I was also privileged to meet the leader of the Minnesota Chapter of the Liberain Association, Keper Dwanyen. The big Whigs of ULAA were all present. Did anyone see me? Maybe. I was the guy at the bar serving the people. I bought a Patron Ticket but ended up serving the Liberian people at the bar!

I pray that we forget the evils that continue to hinder the progress that is desperately needed in our communities and in Liberia. I pray that we come together and build a vibrant Liberian society for all of us and our children to enjoy.

I am always ready and willing to contribute my quota, whether as a patron or a peasant.

No comments: